ImageAll the electrical wiring is complete! Its been a long time.  I know I’ve lost readers.  Zach, I expect this blog has droppedon your list below the top 100 – shoot….However, lets get back to business.  The wiring is surprisingly simple in a way, but it took us awhile to strategize.  In general a few things made it tricky:

1) the insulation was done out of sequence which meant we had to carve away at foam as required for wiring. The wiring by rule should be at least 1 1/4″ deep into the wall to avoid sheetrock screws from breaking any of the them.
2) I explored using low-voltage tape lights and puck lights as primiary sources of light which requires a different kind of wiring and the necessity to hide transofmers.  Essentially, normal wiring can go directly from the circuit board to the fixture.  A low voltage light requires an intermediate piece which lowers the voltage.  This is a transformer.  Sometimes the transformer is built into the fixture or bulb, other times its a separate little box.  You’re used to seeing transformers built into the plug end of small appliances, keyboards, etc.

3) the space is so open that light in one part of the house often affects another.  This means that the switches needed to be “3 way” in many instances to avoid having to traverse the entire house just to get rid of some light.

I could go into further depth on all the electrical wiring, but its not quite exciting, so Ill side step that.  Meanwhile, small plumbing fixes have been made, and we’ve been tying up loose ends in preparation for sheetrock.  The sheetrock on this job is a bit tricky.  The tall spaces, the continuous walls, the already installed window/door casing are all a-typical conditions.  Suffice it to say I shopped around, talked to many people, and ended up back at the begining with the cheap guy from down the street.  Cross your fingers.  A quick summary of the cost:

cheap guy: 80 cents/sf to hang, tape, and float

expensive guy: 2.10 /sf

cost of material: 25 cents for regular sheetrock, .35 cents/sf for the moisture resistant stuff in the bathrooms

With around 6,000 sf of total surface area, the expensive guy would’ve cost me about 7,000-9,000 extra.

They started today, first mistake: worker spills chnese brown sauce all over the deck! (Revision: it smelled sweet, so I thought it was sauce.  In fact it was the epoxy I was using to seal the wood windows.  This is a real unfortunate occurrence since the epoxy is designed not to be removed from wood.  Hopefully we can use lacquer thinner to remove some, and then sanding to remove some, and then weather to gray it out with the rest of the deck. For right now, it looks like a big stain)  Hopefully that cleaned up alright.

Here’s the teaser: sheetrock truck with 148 sheets. Approx. half were “boomed” to the upper deck then moved inside.  The other half downstairs.  FYI, sheetrock in a pile weighs a lot.  Approx. 6,0000# worth upstairs started to cause the floor to bow.  Make small piles! It should be noted, the sheetrock can’t go up until the city does a “closed wall” inspection.  In this case, the only violations we had were: one outlet on the outside of the house was below the flood elevation.  This isn’t allowed for some reason, but whatever.  Also, a benchmark certificate from a surveyor verifying that the house was built above the flood elevation was needed, and we didn’t have it at the time.  This certificate was included within the “builders’ package” from the local survey company, I had just forgotten about this step since I bought that package about a year ago when I first ordered the survey to detemine the bounds of the property and the topography.  Worth nothing, the topography survey is not required by the city for a permit, but was an additional $300 bucks.  It probably wasn’t worth it, but I found it interesting to know.  Also, it serves as documentation incase your builder’s screw up the drainage of the site (which was the case for me, until we brought in multiple truck loads of sand throughout construction to restore the proper slopes).

 

Anyways, we got that stuff taken care of, and now we’re off. Aerial photo below from my neighbor working on his two story house just a few doors down.  See, mine ain’t so tall and out of place —

Image

Advertisements